Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME authorised inpector/designee/observers

Status
Not open for further replies.

athomas236

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2002
GB
With regard to ASME 1, I understand that the duties of the AI are defined in PG-90 and the qualfications in PG-91.

I also understand that the duties, experience and qualifications for observers are defined by A-316, but cannot find the equivalent information for designees.

I will be gratefull for any assistance on this matter.

Best regards

athomas236

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since I have not done any ASME code work since 1989, I'll give you my opinion. The term designee would be a person who has thru background equivalent qualification to the AI and may perform the inspection but would not be authorized to sign the inspection reports. These reports would be signed by the AI. An observer would accompany the AI during the inspections to learn the trade of an AI and only the AI would sign the reports.
When I studied the ASME codes to take the tests in 1980, I dont remember the codes mentioning the terms designee and observer but over a 26 year span things do evolve particularly with codes.

An ASME Designee is a person that represents ASME during a Joint review or Survey. In other words the Team Leader or on a Nuclear Survey a Team menber. I am qualified as both.

An Observer is a person that may witness S V testing at a lab or manufacturer.

aclark,

Thanks for the information.

During safety valve testing, can the ASME Designee be an employee of the valve manufacturer. We are being told that he can by an EPC contractor.

ahthomas236

athomas236,
do not leave things for tomorrow,
you may forget it then.

also an ASME observer can acompany an ASME designee
during a survey/audit
genb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back