Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B&PV Section VIII, Division II, Weld Inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transient1

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2007
US
I am trying to find if in Division II there are exceptions that allow me to be exempt from NDE on e-beam welds. I have data that shows repeatable quality welds but it looks like 100% Ultrasonic Testing is always required. Assume I am only talking about Category A, Circumferential welds.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have to have a 1.0 joint efficiency, or can you make do with 0.85? If you want perfect joint efficiency without examination, that sounds like a tough sell.

What edition of Div 2 are you looking at? It was completely re-written in 2007. I've never done a Div 2 vessel myself, but my copy of table 7.2 seems to allow a joint efficiency of 0.85 with 10% to 25% UT on longitudinal and girth welds. Did I misunderstand something?

I am looking at 2007 with all the addenda. I see what your talking about. That is for category 3a and 3b welds, but that is only if the cavity is designed according to Div 2 Part 4 (Design by Rule); see table 7.1.
I have a Div 2 Part 5 vessel. I think the answer to my question is that the code is telling me to inspect everything and there are no provisions like in Div 1 that allows me to relax those inspection criteria for a reduction in weld joint efficiency.

Also, check with your NDT supplier. A lot of times, in-shop UT costs are driven by mobilization and reporting time, as much as the actual 'scrubbing the transducer' time. Your price to go from 25% UT to 100% UT should be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back