ASME B16.34 CLASS 900 WELDED END SCHEDULE CLARIFICATION 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skengg

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2021
IN
Hey to all,
i have one general query is that is there any clause or article in any valve design standard which talks about which pressure rating CLASS valve suitable or equivalent to which pipe schedule?
actually we are making CLASS-900 Butt welded end steel globe valve that it is suitable for pipe schedule 80 and pipe schedule 160 but i want its written justification in any standard,
or should look for pipe pressure rating chart to match with valve pressure rating chart, to see in which schedule category its lying?
kindly give me clarity.
thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In short no.

Connecting pipe wall thickness or schedule varies by many things including design code used, design pressure (can be less than max class rating), pipe material, pipe design temperature, corrosion allowance and company standards.

Any chart will only give you a guide.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I would ask a similar question but coming from another direction

What maximum size pipe you can attach (weld or flanged) to valves and not overstress the valve body, assuming the pipe is up to max of the piping code stress?

There must be a limit, you cannot weld 12.7mm wall pipe to valve where the body is only 6mm thick and max out the stress in the pipe.

B13.34 does have min body wall thickness. Should attached pipe wall thickness be function of the valve body wall thickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back