ASME B16.36 drill customization 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surulere

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2015
BR
Hi there,

I'm facing an issue regarding an application within a piping system which has a 150# class and the customer is asking if is it possible to make a welding flange, NPS 4", based on ASME B16.36 class 300# thickness but with a modification to 150# drill pattern.

Could someone help me please? Thanks in advance for all your support.

Best regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

surulere, not familiar w/ B16.36, but this would likely be a custom design, such as per Sec VIII, Div 1, Appendix 2.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Appling general engineering logic would say smaller holes in a class 300 flanges will not make the flange weaker. But the smaller bolts/studs will mean the pressure rating will be lower. The smaller bolts will also upset the design of the raised face and gasket seating force.

Hi Kevin,

Thank for your reply. I agree about the engg logic as well as the lower pressure rating due to the thinner section of bolts/studs. The main concern is related to make an orifice which includes a tap for instrumentation purposes, so the MAWP of the piping system will be limited to the class #150, which is the design pressure.

The hard work is to convince both the project engineer and the inspector to accept this solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back