Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B16.5 Concentric/Spiral Flange Serration Finish 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassmark

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2022
US
Hey All,

I am looking to learn how the serration dimensions on a ASME B16.5 raised face (RF) are derived from ASME B16.5.

Currently, for say, an 8" class 300 RF flange with concentric serrations, ASME B16.5 section 6.5.4.3 states:

"Either a serrated concentric or serrated spiral finish having a resultant surface finish from 3.2 micro-m to 6.3 micro-m (125 micro-in. to 250 micro-in.) average roughness shall be furnished. The cutting tool employed should have an approximate 1.5 mm (0.06 in.) or larger radius, and there should be from 1.8 grooves/ mm through 2.2 grooves/mm (45 grooves/in. through 55 grooves/in.)"

The spec calls out surface roughness of 125-250Ra and 45-55 pitch (recommended value), machined with a 1/16" rounded tip cutting tool. However, when I perform a quick online search, I find information which state the ASME B16.5 requirements for a concentric lay serration are to machine grooves using a 90-degree included angle "V" tool with grooves 1/64" deep and 1/32" wide.

Would serrations machined to these parameters be in accordance with ASME B16.5?

The calculated the RA value of the for said serrations was found to be 3500 micro-in which is far above the stated limit of 250 micro-in.

Maybe this is just a massive brain-fart, but I fear that when I'm questioned on the origins of the serration callout on a drawing, I wouldn't be able to point to a place in the specification and provide an explanation.

If anyone can provide some clarification on this matter, it would be much appreciated.

Bassmark

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e6255805-71dd-419b-a463-74be47a784af&file=Flange_Face_Finish.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B16.5 defines the default 125-250 microinch flange finish but doesn't preclude other finishes from being applied. From B16.5-2017:

"6.4.5 Flange Facing Finish. Flange facing finishes shall
be in accordance with paras. 6.4.5.1 through 6.4.5.3,
except that other finishes may be furnished by agreement
between the user and the manufacturer."

GBTorpenhow,

Appreciate the reply!

I suppose the parameters of the "V" groove serrations are industry agreed upon, as opposed to being explicitly defined requirement within a specification.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back