ASME B16.5 Figure #11 Interpretation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDAust

Petroleum
Mar 22, 2015
AU
Follows on from thread378-436363.
I am trying to interpret exactly what is being said in Figure #11 (attached). Nothing in Interpretations 1 through 4. Assume we are looking at the face of a flange and drilling a tangential hole that would go between bolt holes. 2 colleagues thought this was the wall of a pipe - as I initially thought. It does not make sense when the hole size goes up to NPS 2". Clause 6.12.2 states "Holes may be tapped in the wall of a fitting if the metal is thick enough to allow the effective thread length specified in Figure 11."
I have previously used ASME B16.36 - Orifice Flanges when asked for guidance on drilling tangential holes in flanges. This is limited to a 1/2" hole.
Thank you for any help
Figure_11_pdsgn8.gif

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is your question or area you don't understand?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

For 1/2" NPS tapped connection, the code requires you to have at least 13.5mm of effective thread engagement length. That is, it prohibits tapping into pipe walls, flanges or fittings that are too thin.

Hi All,
Sorry if I was not clear. ASME B16.5 is a flange spec. What part of the flange is represented in Fig. #11? I understand the thread depth criteria. I was trying to understand if Fig. #11 pertains to radial (not tangential) holes in the outer edge of a flange - similar to ASME B16.36 - diagram below. Note #1 on these Tables states - "Other NPT sizes may be furnished if required" - but no guidance on maximum hole sizes. Obvious that with bigger flange sizes and higher Pipe Classes there is more material that would allow larger radial holes.

B16.36_600_ltew01.gif

This is for flanged fittings, through the body wall not the flange, see Figure 15 for typical locations of auxiliary connections. Only a few dimensional changes are proposed in the new draft, figure 15 is missing but still referenced under 6.12.7, so doesn't appear to be any plans to change the scope. The B16.5 flange geometry may not meet the requirements of B16.36, so follow B16.36 for creating an orifice flange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back