ASME B31.1 SIF Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nux

Mechanical
May 3, 2024
TR
Hello everyone,

I have some questions about SIF calculation acc. to ASME SIF calculation. As you know after 2020 ASME B31.1 edition ASME B31.J is referenced for SIF Calculations instead of Table D-1. Table D-1 is removed from ASME B31.3 but it still exists on ASME B31.1 and if you check Figure 104.8.1 from ASME B31.1 nomenclatures for the equations related with ASME B31J, not with the Table D-1. So my question is if we are going to use ASME B31J for SIF calculations, what is the point of still including Table D-1?

My second questions is, if you chech General notes of Table D-1, Note (b) says: The designer may use the stress intensification and flexibility factors from ASME B31J instead of the stress intensification and flexibility factors herein. When using the stress intensification factors from ASME B31J, the maximum of the in-plane (i[sub]i[/sub]), out-of-plane (i[sub]o[/sub]), and torsional (i[sub]t[/sub]) stress intensification factors shall be used in calculating stresses in accordance with para. 104.8. Alternatively, stress intensification factors may be developed using ASME B31J, Nonmandatory Appendix A.

I understand that this sentence related with stress equations on ASME B31.1 before 2020 editions. But if you check stress equations on Figure 104.8.1 After 2020 ASME 31.1, these equations does not meet the sentence that i shared above. So i believe that ASME B31J only code for SIF calculations. My question is am i right about my toughts or do i miss anything about Table-D1?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the reply KevinNZ. I realized that aswell but i wonder that what is the point of including Table D-1 while they refer to ASME B31J for SIFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back