Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME B31.3 Pipe to pipe branch connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mibagno

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2010
IT
Hello to everybody, this is a very simple question for people deeply knowing ASME B31.3, but it's not for me, since I'm a starter.
I have to make a pipe to pipe branch connection in a big pressure equipment designed to ASME B31.3. I have selected a pipe to pie connection due to the high design pressure, that could create big problems in Tee estrusion.
Please look at the attachment:
obviously "d" cannot be as big as "D".
Is there any paragraph of ASME B31.3 indicating maximum d/D dimension, or calculation method? I've found how to evaluate whether a reinforcement is needed or not, but I didn't find if there is any limitation on the ratio between main line and branch line diameter (in my case I have a main pipe API5L X60 dia 52" , to which I have to connect another pipe API5L X60. I have to identify maximum dimension I have to consider for the pipe to be connected to the main pipe 52"

Thanks to all the people helping me trying to close this issue!

Michele

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

52" onto 52" is a tee.

Branch connections have to be calculated for reinforcement requirements, just like a pressurevessel nozz. I try to skip these calc's by using Integrally Reinforced Branch-Connection fittings --- Weld-O'lets. No calc's required, easy to specify.

For fabricated pipe branch connestions, the usual limit is "no bigger than 2 pipesizes less than the header size". For each diameter and wall thickness combination, you need to calculate the minimum required repad. Tedious. thus O'lets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back