Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME BPVC UCS-66/API 579-1 Fitness for Service Part 3 - Brittle Fracture of Existing Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechanicalEng2015

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2023
US
I posted this question in the piping forum but unfortunately received conflicting responses. Given that API-579-1 Fitness for Service applies to pressure vessels, I am posting this question in the pressure vessel forum as well.

I am preparing an API 579-1 (Fitness for Service) Part 3 (Assessment of Existing Equipment for Brittle Fracture) Level 2 analysis of an existing carbon steel piping system to determine if the piping system can operate safely during an auto refrigeration condition.

The API 579-1 procedure does not address brittle fracture analysis of valves. Nor does ASME BPVC UCS-66, which the API procedure is based on.

I have been told that the minimum design metal temperature of the valve flange will be representative of the entire valve. Others stated to determine the valve governing thickness. None of these recommendations are found in UCS-66 or API 579-1.

Is there a reference that details procedures for performing a brittle fracture assessment of existing carbon steel valves in a piping system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back