Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME BPVC.VIII.2010.1 Appendix 13 Sketch 6 calculation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faustie

Aerospace
Feb 20, 2024
GB
Hello. I'm trying to make a spreadsheet & Python script to calculate stresses for a type 6 rectangular pressure vessel, as defined in 13-8(h) on pages 471-472. An example is given in 13-17(j) which I'm working through, on page 490. In case of any errors I've also checked the 2023 edition, and the calculations are the same but this one doesn't include the example calculation.

I've gotten as far as correctly matching all of the membrane stresses for the given example, but I get differences in my K[sub]8[/sub] and M[sub]A[/sub] factors despite triple-checking the equations, so my bending stress calculations don't match.

I did have to make a couple of changes in the previous section, following advice given in this old thread, so Eθ[sub]1[/sub] is substituted with E[sub]M[/sub], and θ[sub]M[/sub] and θ[sub]N[/sub] are capped to the value of θ[sub]1[/sub] if they're greater. This all works well and matches so far, but I'm confused how to continue with K[sub]8[/sub] and M[sub]A[/sub] not aligning (I get -45.23 instead of -38.81 for K[sub]8[/sub], and -10,447 instead of -8,965 for M[sub]A[/sub]).

Would anyone have any worked calculations for these, or know of any errata affecting the bending stress calculations? I'm of course happy to share my spreadsheet/code if anyone would be willing to take a look. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Would it be possible to have a contact with you? I'm a beginner with Python and I'm interested to see how the calculations could be implemented in a Python script, of course if you are willing to share.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back