Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asme bth-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceblink

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2005
DE
Can anyone point me to a European counterpart of the ASME BTH-1 spec? Preferably British, but other EU will also do.

I'm looking into a lifting eye that is bolted to a machine, where the bolts provide a friction transfer of the load.In ASME BTH-1 the maximum allowable load is n*0.26*A*Fu / (1.2*Nd) where n is number of bolts, A is bolt tensile area, Fu is ultimate allowable stress (of the clamped parts?), and Nd is the safety factor. I don't understand where the 0.26 originates from. (I expected it to be 0.24/0.36/0.48, from a friction coefficient of 0.1/0.15/0.2 and a bearing allowable of 2.4*Fu).

Background:According to ASME we need 4 bolts to transfer the load, but the engineer says there is no room (always the same excuse) and "we have always used 3 bolts". I told him no deal, so now the project manager wants to know if the American standard is applicable <sigh>.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back