Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Code Stress Output Plots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENG2194

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2019
US
Can anyone help me clarify a few questions for me regarding the ASME Code Stress Output Plots that are generated by Compress (see attachment pg 9).
- Does "Inside" & "Outside" refer to the stress on the inside surfaces and outside surfaces of the shell/nozzle.
- From plots 8 & 9, does anyone know what "EXP" stands for?
- Can someone just explain plots 10 & 11 not sure how you can just analyze either membrane or bending when load case 2 is internal pressure & external nozzle loads. Not sure what the USER parameter is either

Any help would be great. Thanks.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=90661477-44ec-4453-bfd7-9176998958db&file=N2_Nozzle_FEA.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello ENG2194

We do not use compress however we do use standard(standalone) nozzlepro. However your output of the nozzlepro is different then our standard output.
1) This is indeed the stress on the inside surfaces and outside surfaces of the shell/nozzle.
2) In plots 8 and 9 stresses "F" are included. In my understanding this case is relating to fatigue calculation, therefore i assume that EXP stands for expansion.

In the standard nozzlepro it seems text report is longer/ shows a bit more. Also for checking of stresses / limits nozzle pro can show you a full table "nozzlepro stress summary" with a lot more info than is included in the report.

With kind regards
Rob

Hello ENG2194,
Because I also did not know the answer to your 3th question I asked this to the supliers of nozzlepro, below their answer. Note, your plots 10 and 11 are my plots 6 and 7.

"If you notice, plots 6 and 7 are not referenced in the tabular reports. Plots 6 (membrane only) and 7 (bending only) are based on load case 3 which is an operating case, and therefore a secondary type stress Pl+Pb+Q. NozzlePRO tries to split the membrane and the bending components out of Pl+Pb+Q and plot them independently for user reference. Since these plots are partial representations of the entire secondary case, the allowables are an unknown percentage of SPS and therefore a set allowable cannot be given, this is why the “user” value is shown rather than SPS."

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back