Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME IX - Contact Tube to Work Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

beh188

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2009
US
Does the variable "contact tube to work distance" apply to GTAW welding, or is this only applicable to GMAW or other processes?

Is there a place on a GTAW WPS that you specify the distance of the tungsten tip to the work surface?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stanweld..that actually surprises me that there is not. Wont the same principals apply with a GTAW torch as with stick and mig.?? pull back and amps drop off - volts go up. That has to have some effect although I can see that because it is a process where the arc itself is not part of the deposit process. Wire is fed independantly either manually or through a separate wire (hot/cold) feeder and not connected per se to the Tig torch.

Where as in GMAW/SMAW there is. Ok answered my own query.!

cheers,

With GTAW, Arc Voltage is directly related to the arc gap. Neither are Essential Variables, but Voltage is related to Heat Input which is a "Supplementary Essential Variable". That means that it only becomes an essential variable when other sections of code specify notch-toughness tests.

Simplified. Arc Gap in GTAW is not required to be controlled by ASME Section IX.

It is good practice to include the arc gap as a reference variable on the WPS in a supplementary notes section, particularly with Automated or Semi-automatic welding. For manual welding, it all comes down to the skill of the operator.

Please note that by definition of contact tube, the GTAW process does not have a contact tube. The contact tube distance affects preheating of the wire electrode amongst other effects.

Just to stir the pot a bit...

Definition of contact tube per ASME IX:

contact tube: a device which transfers current to a continuous
electrode.

One can argue that since the collet body meets this definition in transferring current to the tungsten, that it would indeed be considered a "contact tube."

QW-256 disagrees however, and is quite clear in that regard. And, since the filler wire isn't considered the electrode, it can't even apply to a hot-wire GTAW setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back