Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME IX QW 200.4 (a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnlpba

Materials
Sep 19, 2005
CA
I have a WPS that is qulaified for 0.120" to 0.480" that was welded with a root using GTAW Flux Cored Rod and filled out using solid GTAW rod. I have another WPS that was welded with GTAW Solid GTAW for the full thickness with a range of 0.074" to 0.864" (using 3 PQRs .148", .280" and .480"). Can I use the 2 WPS in a joint on 8" 0.594" wall.
The root would be performed using the Flux Cored TIG rood and the fill out woud be with GTAW solid rod? Or do I have to qualify another weld procedure using the Flux Cored TIG rod and GTAW fill out using at least a 0.300" wall material to cover the actual weld of 0.594"??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nnlpba,
Flux core and tig are two different welding processes. I do not think that FCAW wire would weld very well using a tig torch. Your root was probably welded with tig. You might want to find a welding engineer to consult with

The root was put in with Kobelco Flux Cored TIG rod R308LT1-5 rod. This rod is used on the root only where a back purge is impossible. The flux that adheres to the backside of the weld protects the weld from oxidization. The hot pass and fill passes are welded with TIG solid wire ER308L.

Here is a modification of your statement without reference to the filler metal product form.

I have a WPS that is qulaified for 0.120" to 0.480" using GTAW . I have another WPS that was welded with GTAW for the full thickness with a range of 0.074" to 0.864" Can I use the 2 WPS in a joint on 8" 0.594" wall.

If you combine WPS's they must be qualified for the joint. There are allowances for combinatins of procedures in QW 200.4(b) however that exception is allowed in situations in which the PQR was for material 1/2" thick or greater.

I may be missing something but that is how I see it.

Gerald

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

I think Gerald nailed it.
Since the WPS's have different essential variables the restrictions in QW 451 must be applied to each WPS.
To combine WPS's you have to apply the restrictions of
QW 200.4)b).

Pipe diameter and P-number are your only essential variables for that GTAW process. Use your first wps (flux cored tig rod root with solid tig rod fill and cap. Have your welder use a 2-3/4" O.D. x 5/8" wall A106B in the 6g for the WPQ and that will qualify him for; 1" OD and up; unlimited thickness.

You may not use the two combined as currently qualified to support your intentions. You must perform an additional qualification. Refer to QW-404.23 (essential variable) and QW-200.4(b).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back