Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME IX QW420.2 - P #s and S #s

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanaCarrie

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2003
US
I would appreciate if anyone could clarify something in QW420.2 for me. The statement I'm questioning (1st sentence, 2nd paragraph) is:
"...welding procedure qualification with a base metal in one P-Number (or P-Number plus Group Number) or one S-Number (or S-Number plus Group Number), qualifies for all other base metals in the same S-Number grouping".

I take this to mean that any P1 will qualify you to weld any S1, regardless of Group number (eg. P1 Gr.1 will qualify for a S1 Gr.3). Is this true or am I incorrect.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My interpretation is that you are correct, provided the welding procedure is not qualified with impact testing. For example, if you were going to qualify a welding procedure with impact testing requirements, the P-No and Gr-No are essential and supplementary essential variables, meaning any change in Gr-No for the same P-No material would require re-qualification.

Otherwise, a change in Gr-No for a specific P-No material is not considered an essential variable for the listed welding processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back