Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME IX, WPS and Welders qual controversy? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
Jan 8, 2005
US
WPS Qualification: I weld plate 1 1/4 for cs. wps

Question #1:
QW 403.6 states the minimum base metal thickess qualified is the thickness of the test plate or 5/8 whichever is less. QW 451.1 table states: min. 3/16
So what is the min. thickness qualified on my 1 1/4" plate 5/8 or 3/16?

Question#2:
What is the minimum thickness for welder qual. on this plate? Or as per QW 452.1(b) there is no minimum.

Question#3
QW211: Qualification on plates also qualifies for pipe welding and vise versa. So my 1 1/4 weld wualifes for pipe welding? what diameters? all diameters?
Thank you.
Bogdan Grabov

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you did not state the particular welding process (or processes) used to qualify your WPS, the answer to your questions may differ from what I have stated below. I will assume you had used the SMAW process, as an example. Here are the answers to your questions regarding the SMAW process, per the 2004 ASME B&PV Code, Section IX;

1. Base metal qualification range 3/16" min to 2.50" (2T) per Table QW 451.1 for this procedure. In response to your question, QW403.6 pertains to impact testing for welding procedure qualification under “Supplementary Essential Welding variables, not essential variables. If you had used the SMAW process to qualify the WPS with no impact testing, per QW 253, the essential welding variables for base metal do not reference QW 403.6.

2. For the SMAW process, weld deposit thickness governs qualification, not base metal thickness, see QW-353 for essential variables pertaining to performance qualification. The limit of base metal thickness is dictated by the weld thickness deposited in accordance with the WPS used to qualify the welder, and Table QW-452.1. The base metal thickness range (min-max) is dictated by the appropriate WPS used by the qualified welder for a particular job.

3. Refer to QW_461.9 Performance Qualification Position and Diameter Limitations. You need to review your original procedure qualification record and follow the table for pipe OD and position limitations.

I'm moving my follow up to this post,
1)Agree with metengr.
2)Per QW 451(b)your welder can qualify on a 1/2" thick
test plate and be covered for the max range on this WPS,
provided he completes the plate with a minimum of 3
layers.
3)QW 211 is referencing the PQR requirements and yes your
procedure on plate covers you to weld on pipe. In
addition to QW 461.9, you'll need to review QW 452.3 for
diameter restrictions.

Q#1
if impact test required in Job, it will be 5/8 otherwise min. 3/16 Inch
Q#2
No minimum requirements for this qualifictions
Q#3It qualift for Plate & Pipe for dia 2 7/8 inch and above for position :F other wise 24 Inch and above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back