Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME IX WPS Joint Design Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCbrad

Industrial
Dec 1, 2008
CA
Hello,

I am hoping I can get some help understanding the joint design details required on a WPS using SMAW with a groove weld.

What details are required in terms of the root spacing, land, bevel, backing, etc?

QW-253 shows all nonessential, so does that mean that a WPS with an illistration of a groove joint is sufficient? If not, where can I find the governing factors with the specific information?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use the prequalified joint details depicted in AWS D1.1 for a starting point.

You can also refer to a number of AWS D10.X recommended practices for pipe joints. An example of one of the D10.X RP is AWS D10.12 Recommended Practice and Procedures for Welding Plain Carbon Steel Pipe.

Best regards - Al

Thank you both for the reply. But in terms of a QW-282 the root spacing or bevel angle do not need to be spcified ot illistrated.

In this case, I would show a nominal sketch groove weld on the WPS and would add a note "follow the joint detail as per relevent drawing(s)".

Nasir
Welding Engineer
DESCON ENGINEERING LIMITED
PAKISTAN

ASME code sections are not "how to" codes. Weld details such as root opening, groove angle, groove type, etc. is pretty much left to the engineer's discretion. There are several prohibited joint details in several of the construction codes, but again, little in the way of specifics. You can reference B16.25 for a couple of typical pipe details, but there is nothing specific relating to vessels.

The information needed by the welder to properly fit-up the weld joint are typically considered to be nonessential variables. That means the engineer can change them without having to requalify the welding procedure, but that doesn't mean the information doesn't need to be provided to the welder. While ASME codes provide the engineer with considerable latitude, it doesn’t mean the engineer doesn’t have to address the problem and lay it all at the welder’s feet with a comment like, “You’re a welder, you should know this stuff.” That’s a cop-out by an engineer that doesn’t know what he/she is doing.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back