Not open for further replies.

TOMMY2010

Structural
Nov 1, 2020
OM
Hello All,
Hope you are all well!

I have a question related to ASME IX Welding Procedure Qualification

- To solve a situation for electrode welding of some thick C/S materials, I already found an Old SMAW WPS - of my company - which can be used and it requires preheating before welding of those materials, Also when i checked all attached documents and reports (PQR, Test results .. etc ) I found that the impact test was also required and according to ASME IX this means that all supplementary variables shall be treated as essential variable.

I don't know why I felt confusion but i need someone to tell me what is the problem of the following discussion,

- May be before this WPS was made for another project/job where they need to ensure the impact test values so it was required and they went with it
- In my case now the impact test is not required as the application has no relation to low temperature application
- can I use this WPS now for my current job which doesn't require impact test and consider it as if there is no Impact test required and just rely on tensile test and bend testing and make a WPS with only the essential variables without those supplementary variables ?

*** One of my problem if we go with the supplementary variables and impact test values mentioned in the beginning is that the group no will become an essential variable and I can't use the WPS with any material with different group number within the same P No.

I would be very grateful if you answer with reference paragraphs.
Thanks and regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, but it would be better to write a new WPS without the supplementary essential variables using the old impact tested PQR. This eliminates confusion by the users (welders) and customer inspectors and AI (if applicable). You may also revise the WPS to now differentiate the impact test requirements from the non-impact requirements.

I would write a new WPS using the existing PQR as the supporting document. The new WPS could expand the base metals included because you are no longer limited to those in the same group number. Make sure the WPS addresses all the essential and nonessential variables applicable to the process and review the applicable construction code to verify all the elements of the WPS are included.

What elements am I referring to? If the applicable construction code simple includes a statement that the user should refer to the WPS, it infers the WPS should address that element. For example if the code includes mention of alignment, it may not provide dimensions, instead it will refer the reader to the WPS. The WPS would need to list the extent of offset that would be permitted. Another example: Butt welded end preparation. The code may refer the reader to B16.25 or as permitted by the WPS. The WPS should include what ranges are permitted for the groove angle, root face, and root opening.

The days of listing "all grooves and fillets" should be a thing of the past. Unless the welder has access to the applicable code, including a statement "in accordance with the code" is just as useless to the welder.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back