ASME Material and EN grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.

teokal

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
GR
Dear all,
We use ASME materials (SA-333 Gr6, SA-350 LF2, SA-420 WPL6), for construction according to EN13445-1 (yes, it is allowed).
As per ISO 15608, materials that belong to group 1 but have higher C% (greater than 0,25%), belong to group 11.
Now, as per ASME II, the above materials have nominal C<=0,30%. So, they should be handled as group 11.
But, as we are ordering, we order all materials with max C% 0,23%.
Moreover, as we see in all materials manufacturers, they provide limits for C% up to maximum 0,20%, and most of those materials come with C% between 0,11 up to 0,18%.
Can I handle them as group 1 for EN15608, having the real chemistry available (which is as said above, between 0,11 and 0,18), or just because their C% upper limit falls within group 11, this is enough to handle them as group 11?
For what I want to do, and with the available PQR (acc. to EN), it would be convenient for me to handle them as group 1.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Only best result in absolutely necessary time

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good question. Have a look at ISO TR 20173 (Welding — Grouping systems for materials — American materials), which lists this material as group 11.1. Perhaps the grouping goes on a nominal basis the spec, instead of an MTR basis.
Not sure if you have an exit here, but you might consider contacting your nobo and convince them as (since this is EN 13345, hence assuming CE), they are involved per the applicable PED module.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back