asme material receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

stan000

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2014
CA
Good morning friends
if we order 20 plates 8' x 10' SA 240 304 IT CAME IN NICELY PACK IN BUNDLE.
AS I am receiving the plates i check quantities & for description i see labels WHICH IS on top of bundle SA 240 304/304L -QTY 20
DO I have to open the bundle for receiving to make sure it is SA 240 304.
i was thinking when it will take for fabrication before fabrication will open the pack and check the plate for scratching & conformity of material.
please advice your opinion.
regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does it matter if they are all the same? If not then just trust the label.
As David said, RTFM. My hunch is that it will direct you you examine a sample of them, and this does not mean the top two.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

The lazy but imperfect way would be scanning down the side of the stack with a PMI gun, if you have one handy.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

It is still a bit hard to check gage and surface condition without breaking the stack apart.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

IMO, it's the responsibility of the warehouse personnel to ensure the material received complied with the Purchase requirements, such as material spec, quantity, QA inspection (e.g. PMI for SS), etc., for each component.

yes we got all certificate ( MTR ) & I check all sizes & qty,
but i not open stack because we are not going to use immediately.
we have two forms ( receiving & inspection)
receiving - i received as i said |But when we open stack can do inspection before we cut.
Regards

1st answer: please check your QC manual

for 2nd answer: since you mentioned that '' because we are not going to use immediately.''

I would strongly recommend you to open each single plate and check it NOW

it may be sound silly to other people whoever don't understand value of QC manual but just think about it , lets say if you or someone will find out that few plates are not as per code requirements , then what !!! no one will replace once plates are received by you / once vendor will receive payments

if you are new to your job , or if someone stop you to check all of them now , then please just explain about QC job activities or simply put material on HOLD , also put hold for payment until QC approves all material

stan000,
1) Is this a trusted vendor or;
2) Do you feel lucky?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

My experience 35 years ago
1)240 tn of SA 516-60 was purchased in Europe
2)All material test certificates were OK, prior to shipment
3)240 tn of plates marked St-52 were received !!!

Regards

AB53Mech makes a valid point.
Once you have paid the vendor and then you finally find out there are issues with your plates you will have a major struggle to get a resolution.
If you have a reputable vendor, maybe you will get lucky but if not you can kiss the purchase price goodbye,
Regards,
Shane

First, understand the minimum ASME Contruction Code requirements. Then you may determine what and how for receiving inspection inspection documented in your Quality Control Manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back