Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Membership Perks? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbk14

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2014
US
Hi everyone, I'm looking at becoming an ASME member, but I want to make sure I understand what's offered before I drop the quid.

I basically just want access to the ASME journals with no per-article fees or anything. As an ASME member, is that possible? Or do you still have to buy articles even as a member?

Can any current ASME members let me know how this works? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please post in forum Asme code issues

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

desertfox,

He is not interested in ASME codes. He is interested in joining ASME. I think this is the valid forum for the question. I can't answer his question though.

--
JHG

What ASME membership gets you is a monthly magazine (not bad), membership in the local section (monthly meetings, presentations, networking opportunities) and some discounts on stuff. No access to other copywrited material like codes and standards. I went to the World Conference a few years ago and all of the talks were from PhD candidates and not very germane to anything that a working ME would ever need. Of the various industry societies that I'm a member of (SPE, NACE, etc), ASME is probably the least useful.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Hi drawoh

My logic is that in the ASme code forum will be full of ASME members who just might know what the perks are.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

I've been a member for 50 years or so.
David summed it up pretty well.

The magazine used to be a lot better, decades ago, when they didn't overlay graphics on the text (making both unreadable to old eyes), and the technical articles were much longer and much more technical and occasionally even useful. I complained about the format change. The big cheese, to his credit, wrote back, and basically said they had to change with the times, suggesting indirectly that today's engineers have short attention spans and are not very bright.

After a few decades of membership, you get a certificate suitable for framing, and a nice lapel pin.
... after you're too old to bother with lapel pins, or suits.

I'm still pissed about having to pay an assessment for the Hydrolevel case, also decades ago.

If you live near an active chapter, the meetings can be interesting. I can remember, umm, three.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I have been a member of that organization for 30+ years and find little to be impressed with - but in defense of the dues, it is expensive to have an address on Park Avenue along with several other states and countries. The organization does nothing to boost member working conditions or wages and does not allow even a free reading of codes and standards. I tend to feel that they do not have much to offer.

I have been an ME for 10 years now and joined ASME 2 years ago in the hopes of improving my career. I was starting to think membership was not worth the cost based on the minimal benefits I get with my membership. The other comments in the post have confirmed my thought on ASME.

I found my local chapter is not very organized and the events they offer have not appealed to me. There is 1 networking event each year that a non-ASME member can attend.

djm883,
I felt the same way about SPE a few years ago. I decided that the local chapter was the problem and got involved. Saw what was wrong, ran for office (Chairman was the only thing open), injected enough energy to make the other officers start to care, by the end of my term we had gone from a poorly attended meeting every few months to 30+ at the meeting every month. The local chapter has had good leadership since and has been growing (the national focus on early-career engineers has driven many old timers away without that many new engineers coming in but that is another story). My point is that if you find your local chapter disorganized, you can either quit of fix it. Fixing it has a lot of personal satisfaction.

My local ASME chapter is 3 hours away so I never found it to be worth the drive.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

20 year member
Several years ago was involved with an excellent local chapter. Unfortunately lack of employer support and changes leadership had negative impact. Like zdas04 detailed...

I keep my membership, not sure if it pays for itself with discounts associated with conferences and documents, but it is the one I keep up. dvd does have valid points

Enjoyed the PVP conference last summer and plan to attend conferences/classes in the future, but they are costly…

6 year member here...

I think I pay about $155.00 per year. What do you want for $155.00 per year? I get free access to a pretty good number of on line textbooks, each of which is probably close to $75.00 to $150.00 per book. I have not explored the other benefits but, to me, that's good enough by itself.

I pay four times that much to my Professional Association in the form of dues, and get absolutely nothing.

Excellent feedback form others already. I have the same opinions. Only thing I can add under "benefits" is if you want to participate in standards development, such as being a member of B16 or B31, you must be a member of ASME first.

I had one employer who paid for SAE memberships because he liked having initials to put after non-degreed "engineers'" names on business cards.

One benefit that I actually use:

My personal email address is "_______@asme.org" .

It's a simple remailer with a spam filter.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back