Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Piping Standards B31

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm8

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2002
US
Hi,

I am working on a Piping Specification which is for Fire water and Foam Concentrate. For use on Offshore Installations only.
Which would be the suitable ASME B31 code to be used?

I guess its ASME B31.3 but, I would like to have your expert advise on this.
What would be the best way to select the code on various other Service's?

Also,the Piping Specification says Wall thickness/Class as per ASME B16.9 for Pipe fittings. Yes,I agree ASME B16.9 provides fittings rated the same as matching straight seamless pipe as per B31 code. But,how do I calculate the Wall thickness without the Class? How do I go about this?

I am working on Piping Specifications for the first time, so you may feel the questions are silly. Please advise me on this.
Also, if you could advise me of any good book(s) for reference on Piping from basics and various standards it would be of great help to me.

Thanks & Regards,
Rpm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi RPM,

There is no substitue for reading the Code.

All the B31 series of Codes have a scope statement. These will tell you what the Committee intends to include in the scope and what they intend to explicitly exclude.

For your specific application you will also want to look at the NFPA Standards AND especially the Coast Guard Regulations regarding fire suppression. BUT you really, really REALLY need to look at SOLAS. International Maritime Organization, International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, Chapter II-2, Construction, Fire Protection, Fire Detection and Fire Extinction.

For calculating required wall thicknesses for internal and external pressure see B31.3, paragraph 304. For books, find out about Chuck Becht's new book at
find out about Glynn Woods' B31.3 book at
Regards, John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back