Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Pressure Vessel and Heat Exchanger Programs Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumerooski

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2024
US
Are there any decent estimating programs for ASME pressure vessels and heat exchangers? Compress coster is cumbersome. I have multiple estimating books that I have used. If there is no user friendly program I am looking to put software together. Is there any interest or an existing program.

The plan is to develop a system that is quick with minimized keystrokes and limited us of mouse. The program should allow ease of materials and subcontract services entries as well as item entries. Output would provide manhours broken down by simplified batches such as Set up, cut, bevel fit weld grind Handle etc. Labor report and Materials report for final cost summary. Entry would allow BOM to be developed in reports for heads, shells, nozzles, piping etc.. Broken down for specific supplies. Additional report to be in proposal format. Integration with Compress would be the final step since Compress halted their realcoster program.

Any thoughts. Experienced Estimators are hard to come by and there is a need to give back and train up new ones.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bummer, ...What exactly do you and the other MBAs mean ... and what do you want ?... Can you tell us?

And by "there is a need to give back and train up new ones" ... ????

Do you mean that there is a DUTY of the RETIRED to RETRAIN 20 year-old STEM graduates.... and all for Gratis, I assume ? ... Is that what you mean by DUTY, Bummer ???

Should the RETIREES whom were repeatedly and systematically fired and laid-off now somehow have some role ?

Remember, Bummer, .... on the back of your MBA/PMI Graduate certificate, it clearly says

- - - - - - "Anybody can do ANY JOB in ANY amount of time" - - - - - -

Perhaps, Bummer, ... just perhaps, you could develop this software yourself ???

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I have multiple estimating books that I have used.
IMO, there are estimation books referred as the general guidelines of the equipment fabrication and installation, etc. Of course, they are included many variables as applying in the actual jobs, such as economy condition, material, available labor, schedule, transportation, profit, etc. Normally, the estimation program is the company property with top confidentiality as well.

MJCronin,

I am happy for your retirement. I am close to retirement myself. Unfortunately I did not receive an MBA or Graduate certificate. I started as a helper (Grinder) and was trained by older people, most with Military background, I was fortunate and grateful. I do believe we should be constantly training up the younger generations and getting better. I am not asking for anyone to come out from retirement, I hope that you really enjoy yours.

I intend to develop my own software if I can not find a suitable software. Unfortunately I don't like the crash course in coding at my age. If there is anyone out there that has a better solution them I am all ears. I am looking for something in estimating that compares to one of the best user friendly ASME Design programs built by Howard Pouncy (DiSaSu).

Sincerely,
Bumerookski (Bum Phillips trick play)
School of Hard Knocks, PHD (Post Hole Digger)

mk3223,

Thank you for the input.

My books are the old Hunt Tool (1976) and Allied Industries (1986). I also have my own spreadsheets. We developed a program in the early 90s but it is no longer available. There is a need for a user friendly program that I would like to develop unless there is a program available on the market. I build ASME Pressure Vessels and Heat Exchangers.

Sincerely,
Bumerookski (Bum Phillips trick play)
School of Hard Knocks, PHD (Post Hole Digger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back