Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Section III Flange Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

MER3

Civil/Environmental
Mar 23, 2010
US
Posted this a week ago on another forum and didn't get any hits, so reposting here.

Analyzing a FF flange per ASME III and am confused about a few of the terms in the code. Reference Appendix XI and Non-Mandatory Appendix L in the 2004 version.

1. The HG term used to calculate flange bolt stress. The definitions in XI and L don't match, and neither are very clear. Per App. XI I would think it would be #bolts*clamping force/bolt-(pd*AreaID, but that doesn't really match the definition in L. How do I calculate HG?

2. Equivalent pressure when there are external loads on the pipe. I see the equation in NC-3658.1, but that only incorporates moment loading. I see equations online that are identical but also include a term for axial loading. Is this somewhere else in the code?

3. Calculating Ab. Am I right in saying that Ab is the area of ALL of the bolts, that is, Abolt*nbolt? The code is written pretty ambiguously.

4. Is there any guidance for calculating the hC term? I haven't found any yet and it significantly impacts the analysis.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nuclear is a serious issue. Experience is required.
1) You are working with a 2004 edition of the ASME code.
It's not serious!!. See ASME 2021.
2) Contact a pressure vessel engineer.

Sorry.

It needs to be 2004, though I suspect that the rules for flange design haven't really changed over the years. Also, I don't think the Section III rules are much different from the non-nuclear rules, especially the stuff I am asking about in my original post, which is why I figured I'd throw the question out to the world for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back