Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Section IX QW-403.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXWu

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2015
TH
Dear experts, I need some help with QW 403.9 requirement.
I have attached a sketch of my PQR joint detail and production joint detail.
My PQR is qualified on 27mm thickness plate welded with a single pass EGW.
The production weld is a double vee joint to be welded with a single pass EGW on side 1 and a single EGW pass on side 2.

Question: Can my PQR supports the production welding per ASME IX.

Please see attached sketch.

Thank you.

EGW_PQR_vmmm0o.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without information on the applicable design codes, service conditions (pressure, temperature or MDMT, etc.), original (p)WPS and anticipated production-WPS, it's quite hard to answer this question.

Neverthless, review ASME IX QW-259 (Im on tjhe 2019 edt for this). QW-403.9 has soms leads that might not require you to share more details with us.

The design code is API 650 but this should not be relevant, right?
My opinion is that the pqr will not be able to support the WPS because the maximum thickness qualified is 1.1 x 27 = 29.7 mm and the production plate is more than this. I am not sure and would like to get confirmation.

Design codes matter. They may require impact testing, therefore supplementary variables may become essential. The qualified limits then change and require evaluation of the WPS.

Is EGW - electrogas welding - what you mean here? Because that is a very non-standard joint design for EGW.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Aren't electroslag and electrogas usually welded in the vertical using water cooled copper shoes to contain the molten weld pool. The position is flat, but the progression is vertical uphill?

That being the case, the groove details depicted wouldn't be appropriate. The groove detail is typically a square groove with a root opening on the same order of magnitude as the thickness of the members being joined.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back