Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Section VIII Divsion 2 2010 & 2011 addenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggsontoast28

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2012
US
I am trying to find some reasoning/history on why the equations to calculate for Principle Stresses have changed from the Section VIII Division 2 1995 edition to the new Section VIII Division 2 2010, 2011 addenda edition.

Primarily the use of the Natural Log to calculate the Hoop(Circumferential) Membrane Stress in a shell.

I am comparing my principle stress calculations using the 1995 edition with the 2010 edition and the new code returns a higher principle stress.

Any light shined on this would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps because there's 15 years between the two editions. There's been a lot of changes in methodologies and materials in the intervening years. Actually, there were a lot of changes made between the 2007 and 2010/2011 versions. You'd have to find a Code committee member, several of whom frequent these forums, but the main reasons seem to have to do with allowing thinner materials to be used.

By the way, I noticed that you posted both your questions in two different forums. You might want to look at the forum policies, in the FAQ following my signature.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Because the natural log equation is more accurate, especially over a significantly larger range of D/t ratios.

As vpl pointed out, the 2007 Edition of Division 2 was a major rewrite. Everything was changed. I would recommend that you refer to ASME PTB-1 for a thorough discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back