Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME standard for dimensioning Section view & hidden lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

reo682

Mechanical
Jun 3, 2019
US
Hello,

I would like to request you to point me to ASME reference about following details.

1. Can we add dimensions to section views
(I was told and followed that its better to show section view to clarify some detail( for example a hole..etc) than showing hidden line view. Its OK to dimension for a section view)
2. Is it OK to show hidden line views for obviously simple part, for example square tube with holes through both walls,?
(I was told and followed that shall not show hidden lines unless to clarify or avoid any confusion)

thanks,
pkpavv

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Yes. The advice you received is good. It is always useful to produce a section view to improve clarity.
2. You can show or not show hidden lines depending on what ever is clearest. This is pretty much as you were told.

The ASME Y14 series is all about drawings. Your company might have local drafting standards to follow as well. It's always good to look up authoritative information from ASME/ISO or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back