Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME standard for metrology practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunalover

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2002
US
Does anyone know if there is a USEFUL ASME (or other) standard for metrology conforming to ASME Y14.5-2009 Dimensioning and Tolerancing?

Thanks,
Bruce

Tunalover

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tunalover, does 2009 not list relevant standards in section 1.2 or similar as in 1994 edition?

94 edition gives ANSI B4.4M-1981 which would imply it wasn't updated back then, quick google suggests it is now an ASME spec, but further digging on ASME gives "B4.4M, Inspection of Work Pieces ASME B89 Committee (Standard was later withdrawn)"

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

ASME Y14.43-2003 Dimensioning and Tolerancing Principles for Gages and Fixtures might be also useful; in section 1.2, it lists:

ASME B4.2, Preferred Metric Limits and Fits
ASME B46.1, Surface Texture (Surface Roughness, Waviness, and Lay)
ASME B89.6.2, Temperature and Humidity Environment
ASME B89.7.2, Dimensional Measurement Planning

ASME Y14.43 has potentially useful information within it as well:
1 General
2 Principles
3 Gage Design
4 Dimensioning and Tolerancing
5 Usage
6 Fixtures

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
faq731-376 forum1529

Thanks guys.
I don't have Y14.5-2009 so I couldn't look there. And to br honest with you I did not look in the 1994 version for the information. I was actually going off some feedback I received that inspection practices per GD&T were at best poorly standardized and documented.

Thanks,
Bruce

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back