Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME VIII-1 UG-44(b) - External Loads on Standard Flange - Analysis Options for Slip-On Flanges 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mech_ash19

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2024
US
What analysis method do you typically use for considering External Loads on Standard ASME B16.5 Slip-On Flanges. This article nicely summarizes the analysis options that are typically used for standard flanges. I assume the code method does not apply for Slip-On flanges since the code explicitly states that the listed method is for Weld Neck Flanges. Kellogg Equivalent Pressure method seems very conservative. Is there any one method that is preferred for Slip-On Flanges? Does anyone know if there is a plan to include requirements in code addressing method to use for Slip-On flanges with external piping loads? Any guidance on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UG-44(b) and Code Case 2901 are not for slip-on flanges - because the underlying research did not consider slip-on flanges. I understand that the original researcher of the method (Dr. Warren Brown) is either working on that research, or has plans to work on that research. Until the research is conducted and peer reviewed, nothing will get put into the Code.

As an alternative, may I suggest ASME Section III, Division 1, Subsection NCD, NCD-3658.3 using Level A Service Limits, or EN-1591-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back