Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME VIII div.1 allowable stress values for no-ASME II Part. D tabula

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitalis77

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2006
GR
Hello everybody,
My query is quite simple for ASME seasoned engineers.
It has to do with the ASME VIII div.1 allowable stress values for no-ASME II Part. D tabulated materials. How could I estimate/calculate these allowable stresses? I'm currently using the 0,85/3 x Min.Tensile Strength, i.e for St.44-2 with Min.TS=410 MPa I use 116 MPa allowable stress for thickness calcution under internal pressure. Could someone direct me to a ASME VIII solid reference that verifies or negates my estimation.?
Thanks in advance,
Elias

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all if the equipment needs to be Code stamped you are not allowed to use materials not covered by ASME IID.
Material shall be re-certified to an approved material in accordance with UG-10. Than you can use the stresses of the recertified material.

If non Code stamp fabrication , you could use non listed material . In that case the allowable stress shall be determined in accordance with table 1-100 of ASME IID.
e.g. lower of Rm/3.5 and Re(design temp)/1.5.

ijzer,
Thank you very much for your valuable reply.
I've checked the TABLE 1-100 in ASME II Part D that establishes for room temperature and above St/3,5 for wrought or cast ferrous anf non-ferous and 0,85/3,5 x St for welded pipe or tube,ferrous and nonferrous material. You quoted " lower of Rm/3.5 and Re(design temp)/1.5.", where did spotted that and what Rm and Re stand for?
Thanks again for your guidance.!

At the top of this page, there's a "search" feature. Using this newfangled feature can be enlightening.

thread794-168056

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back