Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME VIII DIV.1. SEEKING AN ON-LINE COURSE/SELF-TRAINING PROGRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMechanics888

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2012
ES
Hi to everyone, and thanks in advance for your help.

I need some advise about my proffesional developing.

I am working now for two years in a big company in the Pressure Vessels designing department, but I don`t feel confidence with my technical work as most of the tasks I am developing here are paperwork...I am really concerned about this, next step will be looking for another job :)

Please, could someone suggest me an on-line course? I have been looking at ASME place, and the following two ones seem to fit quite good my interests:

•BPV Code: Section VIII Division 1: Self Directed Interactive Cd-Rom Training Program: •BPV Code: Section VIII, Division 1 - Design & Fabrication of Pressure Vessels (on-line course):
Has someone get involved in any of the above courses? Could someone recommend me another course?

I really appreciate any information or any advice you can give to me.

Thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME offers courses both inside the USA and outside; check their website for more information on sites and dates. Other organizations also offer training courses: many Authorized Inspection Agencies offer training, such as Hartford, TUV, etc. How convenient it is to attend will depend on your location.

I would imagine that your superiors at your company, as well as your colleagues would be your first and best source for training and mentorship.

Since you want more than "paperwork", what else would you do? Is "design and analysis" considered paperwork? Or is "paperwork" the quality assurance documents, purchasing, etc, etc?

I have found that the best training for myself is to read and study the published texts on design of pressure vessels. Study the Codes themselves. And refer to advanced textbooks and analysis of plates and shells (eg: how should cone-cylinder junctions be designed?). If you have access to a set of calculations for a pressure vessel, study them and see how these were done; what would you have done to make them better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back