Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME VIII, Div 2 Drawings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engpes

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2010
US
I have any ASME VIII, Div 2 vessel design. The customer would like to have a drawing that only includes dimensional information (no material grades, bolting, design conditions, corrosion allowances, etc.).

They are wanting to locate all of this design information on a separate document to make the asset management of the vessel more manageable. I cannot find anything in div 1 or div 2 that would prohibit these multiple documents (not talking about U1A) containing design information.

My question is as follows:

1.) Is there anything specific in div 1 or div 2 that would prevent the manufacturer from showing this design information on separate documents?

2.) Does all of the design information necessarily have to appear on the fabrication drawing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) No experience with VIII-2 but from a rational point of view, as long as all the (Code) required documentation is documented properly: no.
2) No experience with VIII-2 but from a rational point of view, as long as all the (Code) required documentation is documented properly: no.

You can hide some info but not all. You're forgetting the QC Manual and the Code requirements. The format, supervisors,welders have to know item materials, welding supplies, WPS to use, tolerances, Code Edition may be needed, shop floor needs test parameters and media. A.I. will not bend on all these rules, you can try but can get in trouble. I mean the Shop not the designer or draftman.

General Blr. CA,USA

All the data the welders etc. require, and all info required for material purchase, as well as info for the AI, can be supplied on the default drawing. Why not make a drawing only for the customer, with all the bells and horns on them which he likes?

If they want it extra for an overview of all equipment (and not for cconstruction), why not?
When they pay for the extra drawings it's okay, I think.

I do mostly vessel rerates. Most of the vessels are decades old. It's
no fun when there is missing information on a drawing. Sometimes the main
drawing refers to other drawings for details....drawings that were lost long ago.
For future work, keep all the info in one place. If the customer wants,
duplicate the data on other documents.

On your QC manual shall be the minimum information you should have on your drawings. If you don't acomplish any aspect of your QC manual the A.I. can create a no conformity and he can't stamp until you fix it. Ask to your A.I. what does he recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back