Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Y14.5-2009 Multiple Hole Location Dimension Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMG143

Industrial
Jul 6, 2011
US
I have reviewed the Y14.5-2009 doc and have not found an answer to my question. I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

When adding a dimension which indicates the position of more than one feature is it improper to include a multiplier for the dimension?

The example I have (see attached) is from Y14.5-2009 on page 22 where 18 holes are being located in the Y axis by a dimension of 7. Is it improper to modify the dimension to 18X 7? I don't see this technique performed anywhere in the document but I cannot find a section which states to not do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=495a200f-5246-47f8-ab47-c23d6385740c&file=Capture.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't get hung up on figures, rely on the text. In the 94 edition section 1.9.5 clearly allows what you propose.

Note, that if you show the common center-line of the holes as the figure in the standard you posted does then you don't need the '18X', if you don't show the common center-line that's when you need to say 18X.

In future you may want to post drawing question in forum1103.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I agree with KENAT; in your example, the common centerline is dimensioned (thus no multiplier).

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back