Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASPEN for cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemeng421

Chemical
Apr 11, 2007
US
Does anyone know where I can acquire an ASPEN license and installation software for the best dollar? In a few months I have to size a vacuum distillation methanol recovery unit (methanol/glycerol mixture). I used ASPEN when I was in engineering school and its the only program I know that will run the sensitivity analysis and size it appropriately.

Problem is, I work for a small business and the licensing/software is very expensive. Can't find it on ebay.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no legal "Simulation tools R'US"

But sometime you may be able to get a discount. Dont know about aspen but i got 50% on pipeline studio.

Maybe you will have to use a different software or use a consultant?

WINSIM is a lot cheaper (used to be- and does the same (allmost. I would say it does something better - but HYSYS is more widely used and have more features.

Check it out at
Best regards

Morten

I have used Hysim, Hysis and Winsim, I faced no problem in switching from one to the other. If you have used ASPEN then I think there will be no problem, it will take you a couple of days to be familiar with it and then you will be fine.
I agree with Martin, Winsim is more economical and it is windo version of Chemshare, if I am not wrong. Some companies lease any given software on short term basis. Talk to ASPEN people you might get a deal.

I'll give points to brands other than ASPEN too.

My motto, its not the software that makes the simulation useful, its the user!

Khan

Aspen does not promote short term leasing besides what they do themself.

Its only cheap if you will neve need it again.

The cheapest solution will in most cases be to find a consultant who has the license and make him do the work IMHO. (This is strictly looking at it from the get-by-install-pay maintenance fees perspective and as a consultant ;-) )

Best regards

Morten

One idea that comes to mind is to buy time with the software provider. Years ago, I worked for a small consulting company. Our client requested a pipe stress analysis. I thought about buying (subscribing) but thought that it would be best to book a few runs. I went to CEASAR who blew me off. Next, I went to CAEPIPE. They offered a reasonable cost per run so I bought 100 runs for something like $3000. This seems to me to be a great way to get more customers.

Dirk Willard

thanks for all the info. yeah i know pipe stress programs like CESAR don't run cheap either. in the case of aspen, i've found out just to get the license is several thousand dollars.

yikes. i'd be better off getting a consultant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back