Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aspen Plus and Aspen EDR questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shvet2008

Petroleum
Aug 14, 2015
US
Hi, forum

Is here anybody who works/worked in Aspen Plus and Aspen EDR v. 8.X? Could you help please or may be you know any other dedicated forum? Any thoughts / reply would be greatly appriciated.

I started to simulate an existing distillation column and I have met some troubles and questions.

1. I use "HeatX" block in Aspen Plus for existing condenser (air cooled) check. I made air cooler model in Aspen EDR and linked this EDR-file with HeatX block in Aspen Plus. As I understod I can't specify inlet temperature and LMTD in Aspen Plus. Instead of this I have to specify air flow and inlet temperature. Is this right. Or I can't notice any obvious thing?

2. Who can help me with RadFrac block? Question is about option lists "Trays Rating" and "Efficiencies". How are they interconnected? If I specified real trays in "Trays Rating" how does it affect on option list "Efficiencies":
- does Aspen Plus calculate tray efficiency according to "Trays Rating" inputs and "Efficiencies" unputs are ignored?
- or Aspen Plus calculates tray efficiency according to "Trays Rating" inputs and in addition corrects them according to "Efficiencies" unputs?
- or Aspen Plus does not calculate trays efficiencies and just applies user's inputs from "Efficiencies"? Then what about this parameters?

3. Did anybody try to connect reboiler to column using HeatX block and EDR-file. I connected column with HEatX block as reboiler but Aspen Plus again and again increases inlet flow to reboiler up to infinity. If I connect column reboiler with HeatX block using pseudostream all is OK, but in this way I have to specify vapor fraction in reboiler outlet. This way is not so good because I can't see reserve of area in heat exchanger.

4. Can block "Design Specifications" work well? What have I to do to force it not only to increase variable but for example to change it on sinusoid?

5. Has anybody met this kind of bag - this button does not work at all? Some kind of "Error with ActiveX ..."

6. Can Aspen EDR (and HeatX block in Aspen Plus) allow to specify different numbers of rows in one bundle? For example I have this layout of tube rows in air cooler - 3+2+1. But as I understood Aspen EDR can't adjust such structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back