Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aspen simulation of liquid liquid extraction - ethanol - water

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsen

Chemical
Mar 21, 2012
FR
hello!

I do a project about liquid liquid extraction from an ethanol-aqueous mixture using different solvents. In the laboratory I determined the performance of the solvents. I know the amount of alcohol which is extracted from a know mixture (ethanol-water). Now I would like to include these information into a simulation in ASPEN. The idea is to simulate the LLE (based on my data) with a followed simple distillation of the solvent-ethanol mixture.
It would be very nice if someone could help me how I can simulate the extraction step in ASPEN.
Because I would like to determine the required energy/exergy of the process and to compare it to a process with distillation followed by dehydration with molecular sieves. I added a chart about my first process idea. The alcohol mixture had ambient temp and pressure, around 30% are extracted by the solvent, which has a boiling point of 250°C. The distillation step should be easy but I donnot know how to deal with the extraction and where I can embed my experimental data.
Thanks a lot for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back