Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Aspen Simulation Workbook; How Does It Capture Aspen Plus Or Hysys Variable String Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

processendbd

Chemical
Jan 10, 2014
US
I am using Python to automate scenarios (Different flow rate and concentration.) using Aspen Plus

Aspen simulation workbook is handy but sometimes creates problems (COM connection disabled by Microsoft Excel., Simulation locked, etc).

So when you any copy and paste any variable from Aspen Hysys or Aspen Plus on "variable organizer," it captures the variable strings automatically.

May I know how it may do that?

It might be a Computer Science question, anyway.

I appreciate any response.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you connect via COM or equivalent mechanisms you may be able to create some script to, at each optimization step, transfer input data and get calculated values,
however, in general, when connecting Python with external applications running as separate processes, this solution is not efficient and difficult to manage,
when optimizing with Python (for both discrete and continuous optimization) I prefer to call libraries (see Prode or similar products which include a Python interface), with these you can even consider to run multiple threads to reduce the total time.

yes, I use Prode Properties library (on Windows and Linux), anyway there are other products (both commercial an free) with different levels of features and technical support, it depends from your needs, if you need to simulate plants with a large number of units probably a process simulator would be the best option, differently a thermo library can be a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back