Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asphalt paving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamuka

Civil/Environmental
Dec 26, 2017
GE
Hello everyone,

I am from Georgia and i am working in road construction company. Now we have new challenge and we have to make asphalt road which no one did in Georgia before. I am talking about 3 layers (upper base course 12 cm thickness with max sieve size 32 mm, binder course with thickness 7 cm with max sieve size 22 mm and wearing course with thickness 5 cm with max sieve size 16 mm. When i started to investigate what kind of compactors i should to take on this project everyone responded with different answers. Now i am very confused what kind of compactors i should take.

Upper layer thickness 12 cm (max sieve size 32 mm) - what kind of compactors i need and how much
Binder course thickness 7 cm (max sieve size 22 mm) - what kind of compactors i need and how much
Wearing course thickness 5 cm (max sieve size 16 mm) with polymer modified bitumen - what kind of compactors i need and how much

If someone knows exact information about this or know sours about this please inform me

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd assume this design came from the State DOT. Certainly they must have done some research on this in order to make it official. They likely borrowed the details from an other state of via AASHTO. I'd look into this development to get recommendations from them. Checking with headquarters at AASHTO may also give some answers. I'd bet some pretty detailed work has already been done and those engineers ought to be able to help. In checking see if some name has been assigned to this pavement design in order to best ask the question. I'd look to the stte highway main laboratory manager as a start. Having been in the Wisconsin DOT you get the best answers from those that did the teesting, not anyone in cnstruction deparments.

There are come leads that you get from a Google search using the name Yoder. He has written detailed descriptions of pavement design, etc., one of which is this

I'd look for a used book by Yoder even if somewhat old. U tube web site likely has some . Degree of compaction also needs some research, but a laboratory test program then is needed. As to roller type, either flat wheel or multi tired are used. However a compaction test program should be set up to get suitable results.

Ideally I'd see if an experienced consultant perhaps is known where they use the pavement you are looking at and hire him. In England they are well experienced with various pavements.

Some more leads:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back