Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asphalt repair for timber bridge decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

samclane

Civil/Environmental
Jan 31, 2003
US
We are considering using tack coat, non-woven geotextile, and a 2" asphalt concrete pavement overlay to extend the deck life of a 16' x 80' steel beam timber decked bridge. HAs such a project been done and evaluated?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the existing wearing surface made of - lumber? Or an existing asphaltic course? I haven't done one, so I have no experience to draw on. But I'd be concerned about trapping moisture beneath the asphalt, resulting in an acceleration of rot. And my concern isn't reduced by the wood's exposure on the underside of the bridge...

I think the geotextile idea itself is good - it should reduce cracking of the asphalt and increase the life of the wearing surface.

Let us know what you decide to do.

[pacman]

Don't forget to check the weight of all that AC
I'd use 140 lb/CF.

The rotting previously suggested is a true concern.

Is the timber deck a single layer? Often that top surface is in 2 layers.

Is the deck going to drain OK?

Ussually the deck is two layers, creosote impregnated timbers.. We tore down a timber bridge in Mpls that was 80 years old. It had 4" of asphalt on it. The timbers were recycled into 'swamp pads' for excavators. No rot.

I worked on a township bridge, mail ordered from the Milwuakee Bridge & Iron Co. in 1864 (No, I wasn't around then)that had a wood deck with many layers of asphalt paveing. Back then the bridges were sent out "tinker toy" style on a train or horse drawn wagons and erected on the site.

The township wanted to preserve the wrought iron truss, but was concerned about the weight limit. So, we ended up putting a new steel grid deck on the bridge, it was half the weight of the timber and ashpalt. That might be a solution for you to think about.

One thing to keep in mind, steel grid decks can be pretty slippery in the rain or snow, so post a low speed limit for the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back