Asphalt resurfacing vs. sealcoating issue for HOA 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbooker630

Materials
Apr 16, 2004
US
Hello,
I'm normally in the Metallurgy forum but I am dealing with an issue with my HOA. We just formed the association to deal with the deteriorating roads in our subdivision. The roads are 20 years old and have never been resurfaced, just numerous patches throughout. We are getting quotes for a complete asphalt resurfacing which goes into six figures' cost.

Some of the homeowners objected and instead suggested sealcoating the roads and continue to patch as required. My questions are, what is the expected service life of asphalt pavement, and will sealcoating mitigate further deterioration of the roads? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask a sealcoating contractor for how long they warranty the coating and underlying asphalt surface. Also, what climate are you in? Do you have freeze/thaw conditions?

Sealcoat here in WI is typically done every few years.
They will put down fresh asphalt, then patch and tar seal cracks maybe every year or two.
Then sealcoat the entire thing every 3-5 years (depends on service and if anyone important lives there).
Of course we salt roads heavily and have lots of freeze thaw issues. Not to mention snowplows.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

our HOA private road was repaved about 25 years ago. since then, we have been sealing every 3 - 4 years. numerous patches, but otherwise the pavement is sound and should last longer. i would estimate ours to last about 40 years. (arizona, no freeze/thaw or snowplow concerns here)

unless your pavement is developing large potholes down to the base or subgrade, than you should wait for more expensive repairs. in the meantime, you need to plan ahead and start building your capital reserves for the eventual repaving project

Since this is an engineering forum, I'll say this, "Talk to a qualified engineer in your area, before committing to anything the paving contractor says."

Some repairs now, will save lots of money in the future. Make sure a maintenance plan is followed.

Pvt_det_curve_dcrdlo.png

From your description, you're probably in the corrective maintenance or rehab parts of the deterioration curve.

A seal coat is preventive maintenance. It will not repair damage that has already occurred. If you have more than hairline cracks, and it sounds like you do, sealcoating will be a waste of money. It won't seal large cracks, and after a year or two of thermal expansion and contraction, truck traffic, etc. minor cracks will open up again after a year or two.

As cvg said, you may want to defer work if you're already looking at full reconstruction.

You may find this useful.
My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back