Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assemble vs Add

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossly

Automotive
Sep 22, 2003
US
I looked for an answer in old topics but didn't find an answer.

Is there a differance between assemble and add in part design? I was told to use assemble when at all possible and use negative bodies also. I have been asked but others here why and I didn't have a good answer other than "because".

Ross.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Part Bodies in V5 have polarity. You can create a new Part Body that starts with a Pocket rather than a Pad. This gives it negative polarity. If you use Assemble, the operation will follow polarity. If you use Add or Subtract, the operation ignores the polarity of the body.

This is extremely powerful in advanced functionality, including PowerCopies, User Defined Features, etc.

Would this only make a difference if you were using a negative body in the operation?

Most of the time I am just adding two physical (positive?) part bodies together.

I think I understand, but could you give me an example?

Sorry to jump in on your question Ross, but I was wondering the same thing just the other day.

--Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back