Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Assembly / Cutlist question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeMoss

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2006
US
Alright, I am relatively new to cutlists and assemblies. At least at a formal level of making prints with BOM's and Cutlists.

Here is my question. Picture a basic swingset, with two A-frames at the ends (made of 6 pieces total, 3 pairs of the same cut) and a couple of boards tying them together at the top. If you build the A-frames with welments you get a nice cutlist, but only for one A-frame. If you do an assembly now, with two of the A-frames and two other components, you can only add a BOM.

How can I tell the guy cutting the wood that he needs to cut enough for two A-frames without him getting out his calculator? I guess I am looking for a total material cutlist.

It sounds simple, and I might not be taking the right approach (weldments), so I am open to any suggestions.

By the way, I am not making a swingset, but it was the simplest way to describe my situation!

Thanks,
Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Using the weldment features, couldn't you just model the whole swingset frame (2 A-Frames, and all the other components) and create a cut list for all of them at the same time?

SolidWorks 2006 SP3.1
Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 2GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX3000

After reading Ken's post, thats what I did. Going into it I didn't realize that they all had to be in one file to get the counts right. Live and learn....

Thanks guys!
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back