Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Assembly drawing using Bill of Materials will not call out part number and description correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff97070

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2013
US
Hello,

I want to thank everyone with sharing all you knowledge with me. Here is my next question from the rookie.

I have a assembly drawing, a block with three dowel pins two of one size and one is a different size. The Dowel pins belong to a table with many different sizes or is this called a famiy table and I did not create this table.

When I load the model into the drawing and bring in the Bill of Materials it shows Item 1 the block, item 2 Dowel pin qty 2 and item 3 Dowel pin qty 1 the issue is that the Bill of Materials in the part number and discription areas is calling both Dowel pins the same thing. How do I get the Bill of Materials to show what each Dowel pin is supposed to be called. In the Table the Dowel pins come from they are named correctly like M2X12 and M4X12

Thank you,

Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jeff97070,

To make a BOM work, you must do two things.

[ol]
[li]Add configuration specific properties to your parts that uniquely identify them.[/li]
[li]Add columns to your BOM that read those properties.[/li]
[/ol]

I strongly recommend an additional step. Make sure you can copy out of your BOM into your requisition form.

Type once, only.

--
JHG

Go to the Dowel part file then go to the configurations tab. Right mouse click on one of the configurations and then select properties. In the top dialogue box for Configuration Properties there is a box you should check for "Use in bill of materials". This will cause the configuration name to display as the Part Number in your BOM. You will likely also need to address the Description, which can also be made configuration specific. In the Design Table (DT) add a column header with $PRP@Description then the cells below it can contain unique descriptions.

SWX Design Tables are very easy to use. Do yourself a favor and run through ALL the built-in tutorials (Help -> SolidWorks Tutorials), especially the ones relating to DT's.

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back