Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Assembly Management (Configurations?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeagsman85

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2012
US
I'm working on a project that has multiple parts that are assembled into a series of different final assemblies with each final assembly consisting of a unique configuration of parts. Each of the final assemblies has a drawing attached to it with part identifiers as well as manufacturing notes and instructions. I'm certain this is not a unique situation.

In terms of creating/managing these drawings, I have created a separate assembly file within Teamcenter for each configuration with a drawing attached to each assembly. While this is simple and clean, it creates problems whenever I have to update a part. For example, if I make a change to Part 1 and it goes to Rev B, I have to go in and update each and every assembly that uses that part which can be a time consuming process considering the number of assemblies I work with. Also, the parts can change fairly frequently so it can be a full-time job just keeping the final assemblies and drawings updated.

My question is whether or not there is a way to use one "master" assembly file that consists of all of the parts in the different assemblies where I can define the different configurations for the final assemblies? The idea would be to allow me to only have to update one assembly file when a change is made rather than having to make the same change in multiple files. I've tried using arrangements and reference sets but they don't quite function the way I'm hoping.

I've attached a file that graphically shows what I'm trying to accomplish.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, I would like to ask, what was wrong with assembly arrangements? With arrangements, you really need just one master assembly with all the parts in it. Of course, some parts will be on the same position as other parts, but that's the point.
So, in your example, I would do it like this:
1. create one master assembly ASSY-master
2. I would place all the parts from Part1 to Part8 in this assembly
3. then, I would click with right mouse button (RMB) on master assembly and selecte arrangements
4. I would define all four arrangements from Assy A to Assy B.
5. For AssyA, I would suppress Part3, Part5, Part6 and Part8. Unsuppressed are parts Part1, Part2, Part4 and Part6. Those are the parts, that are in AssyA, as you have indicated in your pptx
6. Then, I would repeat step5 for all other three arrangements
7. Now, when creating a drawing, I can select in ViewStyle, which arrangement I want to place on a drawing.
The attached movie shows the first 6 steps, but with just two different parts and two arrangements.
I assume, that this are the steps, that you have done already. So I would appreciate, if you can describe a bit more, what is missing with arrangements?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0bae4ceb-59ae-4c3b-9351-bd9c20f1900e&file=assembly_arangement-parts.avi
I apologize. I don't think I went into enough detail. If I was only trying to hide or suppress parts within a drawing, I'd be already done. Either arrangements or reference sets will do that for me so there's no problem there. The problem arises when I open the BOM view for the drawing in Teamcenter. We're currently developing the ability to export the BOM for an assembly from Teamcenter and import it into our engineering managment system. Considering the fact that some of our assemblies have hundreds of parts, this ability would save us significant amounts of time and improve the accuracy because we would no longer need to type the BOM in by hand. The issue with either arrangements or reference sets is that the BOM still contains all of the parts within the master assembly as opposed to just the parts for that particular arrangement. That's where it's not working quite the way I'd like it to and I'm wondering if there's any way to get that without having to manage each arrangement as a separate assembly file. Does that make sense?

Okay, variant configurations look and sound like they might be closer to what I'm looking for. The question I have now is how do I set them up? From what I can find, it seems like I set them up in "Structure Manager" within Teamcenter, correct? If so, how do I access the Structure Manager? I can't seem to find it. I'm using Teamcenter 2007. Is this one of those cases where that functionality is not included in this version?

I'm afraid that I can't help you with VC, all I know is it's rule based and those rules need writing by someone. we would like to use it, but we are a relatively low volume manufacturer yet some of of our products can have over 1.4m posible variations so to write the rules would be unrealistic. Think of the automotive industry though, they sell millions of vehicles each year, yet they have realtively low possible variations, you walk in to the showroom and in about 10 clicks of a mouse you have configured a car, that's rule driven varient configuration.

Best regards

Simon NX 7.5.4.4 MP8 and NX 8.5 (native) - TC 8

Okay, arrangements with supession is one way to go.
Another way to is using the partfamily from assembly approach... uses supression of component from an spreadsheet
or look in the Nx dokumentation for Modular Assemblies,
hp it hlps

So I've figured out how to create the different variants. Turns out, somewhere along the line the name "PSE" in Teamcenter was changed to "Structure Manager." That's why I couldn't find it.

Anyway, now that I have the variants created with the different variant variables, rules, and conditions, how do those variant assemblies tie back to the "variant master" assembly? What is the best practice for updating assemblies and how does the release process work with the variant configurations? I know that's a lot to ask and it's kind of vague but I'll be able to ask more specific question as I continue testing and learning about this process. Any summary information would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back