Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Navigator - Unpack All 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianhood

Automotive
Jun 27, 2007
CA
In the assembly navigator, is there a preference toggle to always open the files "UN-packed"?

Thanks all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gee, and all these years, users have been asking us to always open the Assembly Navigator with all the duplicate Components 'Packed' and so starting with NX 9.0 we finally give them what they've been wanting, and now you come along...

But don't despair, you can go to...

Customer Defaults -> Gateway -> Assembly Navigator -> All

...and about 3/4 of the way down the page you'll see an option titled 'Pack Components'. Just toggle it OFF and NX will revert back to it's pre-NX 9.0 behavior :-0

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Mr Baker,

The lesson here is... don't be a Microsoft and "add" new functions and conveniently leave out what was possible before. ;)

OPTIONS OPTIONS OPTIONS! [thumbsup2]

We turn ON the new stuff because we WANT people to experience it ASAP. Besides, if you don't like something that we enabled, you'll find a way to turn it OFF! But if we did NOT enable it, then you would never go looking for how to turn it ON since you would have no idea whatsoever that we even made any changes.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I have always wanted to know if there is a way to unpack some.... i have this huge asm "upwards of 5000 pieces" and now im trying to work with 4.... once i unpack all... its a good 2 min scroll down to get to the point im working in...

You should be able to right click on whatever is packed and unpack just that item.

It would be nice if the "plus" mark unpacked it instead of opening the assembly

If you mean that NX will be using a 'Ribbon' style interface, then yes, starting with NX 9.0 NX will use a 'Ribbon' style interface. And from what we understand, virtually all new applications being developed to run on Windows-based platforms are now using some form of a 'Ribbon' style interface.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The Microsoft approach relative to buttons is ridiculous. When using excel, word or most of these programs you are clicking to start typing more than anything else. The limited clicking by these users would justify burying commands by Microsoft. In UG I have to find the tab...open the sub tab...then finally on the 3rd click I get my menu item that was on a toolbar with 1 click that was customize able. In ug it is more clicking than any other motion by far.

Now with the Microsoft approach you are going towards, will triple my click count and an endless search of commands? Does this sound efficient to tooling or simple designing.

The developers should be lessening my click count & command searches not tripling them. Microsoft is not a leader in design / cad programming!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back