Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly part edit - tranparency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2005
US
SW 2010 SP 4.0
nVidia FX1400
XP Pro SP 3
Dell 380

In an assembly, how can I get a part being edited to be transparent in edit mode? It gets transparent when not in edit but becomes sold as soon as switched to edit mode. Currently I've tried to adjust the System Options/Display Selection/Assembly transparency for in context edit/Force assembly transparency but it makes the unedited components transparent. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Workaround #1 ... Temporarily change the material to Glass (or any transparent material).

Workaround #2 ... Change the display mode to Wireframe.

I'm curious; Why would you want the part being edited to be transparent?

The reason is I can see what features I may want to cut, add, etc. from other components to the edited part. I do remember this transparency question I have was available in earlier versions of Solidworks. Thanks to all for you input.

I too am having the same issue. The functionality has changed in sp4.0. In previous versions it worked as you would like it too. I've contacted my VAR and they could reproduce the problem. The problem was sent on to Solidworks and their reply was that the functionality is fixed in 4.0 and was broken in previous versions. Go figure! I find it invaluable to use transparency for editing parts instead of wireframe or any other work around. The button is there, why shouldn't it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back