Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly/Part STEP import/Edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavierStokesEq

Automotive
Feb 8, 2004
GB
Hi all,

Wonder if I can ask for some help and advice. I have Opened a part up from an assembly file, the assembly file was imported as a Step. However, I cant seem to edit the part as it says it is empty. Is there a way of changing the part to a full volume and not just an image or does it have to be remodelled??

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It maybe because it's all surfaces, Can you open the part up instead of editting it at the assembly level, to ensure it's a body and not a surface? It the list of where you open the assembly, you should get a list of parts also (Using Windows Explorer) Check that out and open it from there if you have it. If you don't then that's why you are getting that error. I would then ask for the part form the place you got the file from.

Regards.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

If you have the Feature Works add-in you could get an imported model to have features which you can edit. Once the add-in is turned on go to Help-Feature Works Help to learn how to use it.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2005 SP3.0

Hi all, no i dont have part files, only the step file of the assembly.

When I open the assembly up and go to the parts in the tree on the left, I select the part, right click, and go to open. As you say I think it imports only surfaces, I have tried the knit tool but that dont seem to work.

I dont seem to get the option of importing features when i open the step file. It will be a step file from IDEA's and from what i have found in the past there are many errors with importing features from files of IDEAs

Any suggestions

No not really - if they are imported files you can try and RMB and go to Diagnose (not completely Automatic requires your input), but if that doesn't repair it completely, then you will have to manually repair the file.

There is an example of some basic repair and manual repair functions, on my site. See my site in my signature.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back