Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly question - will it fit ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyB

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2010
GB
Hi All,
I have an odd shaped assembly that fits very closely in a housing. I have modelled the whole thing i.e. the assembly in the housing, but the question I have is will I be able to get the assembly through the odd shaped and close fitting aperture and into it's final location or will it get 'stuck'?. I have tried slowly feeding the assembly into the housing by dragging it and rotating on the screen and I think it will go in. Trouble is I need to know in advance as changes to the hardware will be difficult later.

How do you deal with this? Am I missing a trick?

By the way, the answer isn't to make the housing bigger! I can't.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a tool called "Interference Detection" that may do what you are looking for. I have not used it, so I cannot say for sure either way...

Aaron
SolidWorks (x64)/PDMWorks 09 3.0
CADKey 99 R1.0 (Yes, still using it!)

I would also look at "Clearance Verification". Both of these are under the "tools" menu.

Aaron
SolidWorks (x64)/PDMWorks 09 3.0
CADKey 99 R1.0 (Yes, still using it!)

Thanks for input. The tools you refer to appear to deal only with static instances i.e. will the assembly sit inside the housing. I need help with getting it in through the narrow and torturous path from outside to inside.

At the moment I do a step by step crawl, checking frequently as I go but there must be a better way!

The term "very close" is very subjective. Are you talking thous' or fractions?

Are the contact surfaces close together or spread apart?

Is the assy heavy with sharp protrusions, or light and smooth?

Are the materials used considered soft or prone to galling?

More informataion is needed before a sensible reply can be given. Just because it works in the model doesn't mean it will work in real life.

I recognise that the criteria you mention can affect the insertion process. There is agreeably a difference between two small items in the hand and getting a freezer up the stairs.

In this case and to keep it simple I just need to know if it's possible to get from A to B without physical interference. My assembly of parts is in fact small, and each part can be comfortably held as they are brought together. If the insertion was achievable in a straight line it would be relatively easy but in this case the insertion path would be quite abstract.

"Don't forget the time honored tradition of building a prototype. "

I want the prototype to confirm it's ok. I don't want to have to start hacking away at it with a file.

It's never quite that easy though. We are making prototypes but they will be going straight to the end user in a real application and time is critical. I have to get it right first time. Unfortunately that would normally mean making generous allowances but I don't have the luxury of that as overall space is at a real premium.

As Eltron suggested, you want to do a 'Move' with 'Physical Dynamics' checked.

This will allow you to move the assembly however you want to try to get it to fit into the housing. It wont allow you to push thru the walls of the housing, but will stop it.

Obviously there will be some variations in the real parts and some human variations from the installer. But if you can get it into the housing with Physical dynamics turned on, then it is theoretically possible.

Thanks for all feedback to date - very much appreciated.

It never ceases to amaze me how there I something to learn about SW almost every day. I have been using SW for over ten years and never used the MOVE with PHYSICAL DYNAMICS function! I am experimenting with it now. Looks good.

Thanks.

In principle I think the move with Physical Dynamics function works but it's far too slow! At least with the assembly I have which has to include a couple of PCBs (See my other thread re PCB file sizes).

I have resorted to stepping through the path from open to installed to see where collisions occur. I was confident it would fit - but it didn't! I was really surprised how a little projection on one part got inexplicably in the way. Anyway, I have changed the part and now hope it will work. SLS plastic parts arriving later in the week will help verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back