Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidB026

Mechanical
May 1, 2007
US
I am doing an assembly and I just came across a question.

If I am constraining a pin in a hole, how come I do an axis to axis, and face to face and it tells me fully constrained. Rotation constraint is left. It wont let me move the the item around the last degree of freedom.

Any recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You've probably got "assumptions" turned on. Uncheck that box, and you can set the third constraint.
Or, right click, and select "new constraint", and it'll let you add it.

David

You can leave the "allow assumptions" checked and just hit the + button to add another constraint. Of course, if it is just a pin in a hole why would you bother? It looks the same in all rotational positions.

There are two different methods of doing this. The first method is the static method, there will be the allow assumptions check box.

However I think you might be connecting through mechanisms where all joints are allowed to move. If that is the case then you have the part fully constrained after aligning the axis and faces. If you want to control the rotation, go to the Applications\Mechanisms and then in your left hand menu scroll down to connections and you can further constrain it there.

C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back