Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly References?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWho

Computer
Aug 27, 2008
US
Hi All,
I am new to Inventor (have been using SW for years) and am having some trouble grasping how to create a model top-down using an assembly layout sketch.

First I created a sketch in my assembly. I sketched out the profiles of two components. Then I created component1, started a new sketch, and used "project geometry" to project the assembly sketch geometry I wanted into it. Finally I created an extrude based off that geometry. Yay it all worked! But when I update the assembly sketch by resizing it the part doesn't update! I read an entire 10 page article on "adaptive", but no combo seems to get things working. Can anyone help out a new guy here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Find information on "skeletal" or master modeling techniques in Inventor. Workflow is much different than you would do in SWx. Do a master sketch in an ipt and then derived component from that. You can also do top-down something like what you are trying to do, but it takes a bit more experience with the software to do it correctly to get adaptive parts.

CSWP

Thank-you for the advice. I found a nice example of skeletal sketches here
I also discovered that in order to model the way I was used to I needed to create a base part and then project that part's edges (not sketch entities!) into a new part. That new part then needed its sketch to be set to adaptive. Now when you update part1's sketch part2 will update. It seems debilitating that Inventor doesn't support dynamic update via projected sketch entities. Maybe I am still missing something?

>Maybe I am still missing something?

Give it time, it works once you understand the workflow. I recommend not doing adaptive parts in top-down modeling until the rest of the product is fully understood.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back